FREE, DOWNLOADABLE LIFE GUIDE
Single & Satisfied
What Does It Mean to Be Single?
- The word single means “consisting of a separate, unique whole” (an individual).
- Single suggests being exclusively attentive (an undivided heart).
- The word single comes from the Latin word singulus, which means “one only.”
“She showed single devotion to her religion. To those whose views are single and direct, it is a great comfort to have to do business with frank and honorable minds.”
Symptoms of those who tend to struggle with singleness in life include difficulties with:
- Identity (“Who am I?” “What is my purpose?”); (Ephesians 2:10)
- Loneliness (“I need someone to share my life.” “I feel so alone.”); (Hebrews 13:5)
- Rejection (“I am not wanted.” “I must not be lovable.”); (1 John 3:1)
- Fear (“I will be all alone when I am old.” “I don’t want to be hurt ever again.”); (Isaiah 41:10)
- Bitterness (“I am not receiving the best in life.” “God must be punishing me.”); (Psalm 84:11)
- Sexuality (“A sexual relationship is the only means to intimacy.” “I don’t know what to do with my sexual desires.”); (Romans 12:1)
- Self-Worth (“I don’t feel valuable.” “I am not worthy enough to be loved.”); (Isaiah 43:4)
In our Singleness to the Lord, we should all allow ourselves to focus on being content and the Lord’s content in our relationship with Him.
- Focus on pleasing the Lord. (1 Corinthians 7:32)
- Have undivided devotion to the Lord. (1 Corinthians 7:34-35)
- Singleness can be the happier state. (1 Corinthians 7:40)
Grace filled words:
“In my judgment, she is happier if she stays as she is— and I think that I too have the Spirit of God.” (1 Corinthians 7:40)