Singleness: Free Download
Single & Satisfied
What Does It Mean to Be Single?
- The word single means “consisting of a separate, unique whole” (an individual).
- Single suggests being exclusively attentive (an undivided heart).
- The word single comes from the Latin word singulus, which means “one only.”
“She showed single devotion to her religion. To those whose views are single and direct, it is a great comfort to have to do business with frank and honorable minds.”
Symptoms of those who tend to struggle with singleness in life include difficulties with:
- Identity (“Who am I?” “What is my purpose?”); (Ephesians 2:10)
- Loneliness (“I need someone to share my life.” “I feel so alone.”); (Hebrews 13:5)
- Rejection (“I am not wanted.” “I must not be lovable.”); (1 John 3:1)
- Fear (“I will be all alone when I am old.” “I don’t want to be hurt ever again.”); (Isaiah 41:10)
- Bitterness (“I am not receiving the best in life.” “God must be punishing me.”); (Psalm 84:11)
- Sexuality (“A sexual relationship is the only means to intimacy.” “I don’t know what to do with my sexual desires.”); (Romans 12:1)
- Self-Worth (“I don’t feel valuable.” “I am not worthy enough to be loved.”); (Isaiah 43:4)
In our Singleness to the Lord, we should all allow ourselves to focus on being content and the Lord’s content in our relationship with Him.
From God’s Word
“In my judgment, she is happier if she stays as she is— and I think that I too have the Spirit of God.” (1 Corinthians 7:40)